. Our Wines .
Carmín de Peumo
Carmín de Peumo is Chile’s first iconic Carmenere. A wine that faithfully reflects its origin, the terroir of Peumo, it has been widely praised by world critics. Carmín de Peumo boosts the development of Carmenere at the global level and positions Peumo as the best Chilean location for the production of this French grape variety.
Ignacio Recabarren has clearly earned his place as a major reference in the Chilean wine industry. His spot-on perspective and pioneering vision have served him well over the years and have led him to such successes as discovering Casablanca Valley’s privileged conditions for growing white grapes and leading Amelia to becoming Chile’s first ultra-premium Chardonnay. He has also played a major role in positioning Carmenere as the country’s signature variety and in achieving its international prestige through Terrunyo Carmenere and Carmín de Peumo, Concha y Toro’s icon Carmenere.
Ignacio Recabarren holds a degree in agricultural engineering from the Catholic University of Chile and joined Concha y Toro in 1995, after a successful career both in Chile and abroad. He participated in crushes at Tyland Vineyards in Mendocino County, California, as well as at Château Maucaillou, Château Margaux, and Château Lafitte in France. He also lived in New Zealand for two and a half years, during which time he worked for Morton Estate, Matua, and Cloudy Bay wineries, among others.
Currently oversees four wine ranges: Trio, Terrunyo, Amelia and Carmín de Peumo, the winery’s icon Carmenere.
Domain of Origin (D.O.): Peumo, Valle de Rapel
Origin: 90 percent of the blend is Carmenere from the Peumo Vineyard in Cachapoal Valley. The remaining 10 percent corresponds to other red varieties from Pirque Viejo and Puente Alto.
Soil: Deep clay-loam, alluvial origin. Clay helps retain water and administer it in small doses to the plants, a process that naturally controls excessive growth and fosters optimum grape ripeness.
Climate: Sub humid Mediterranean, with warm days and cold nights. The nearby Cachapoal River exerts a cooling influence especially on summer nights, which broadens daily temperature variation and is a contributing factor to a phased, gradual ripening process.
13 December 2012Carmín de Peumo: The World’s Best Carmenere
25 October 2012Carmín de Peumo 2008 Among The Top 100 Terroir Wines
22 October 2012Carmín de Peumo: Best Chilean Carmenere in every vintage
- Carmín 2010: 96 pts. | Wine & Spirits | February 2013
- Carmín 2008: 95 pts. | Robert Parker’s The Wine Advocate | February 2012
- Carmín 2007: 96 pts. | Robert Parker’s The Wine Advocate | February 2012
- Carmín 2005: 97 pts. | Robert Parker’s The Wine Advocate | October 2008
- Duck confit or magret with plum sauce.
- Deer with gooseberry or cranberry sauce.
- Duck ravioli with mushroom and/or truffle sauce.
- Risotto with mushrooms.